Monday, December 27, 2004

Old technology but good



The Olympia Traveller C is, unless I can find any others, the last manual typewriter being manufactured anywhere in the world. Yes, it's totally obsolete technology but then, it doesn't need batteries, the kernel will never panic, there's no screen to have the BSOD, and no self-respecting thief would ever look twice.

My second-hand typewriter (made by the unknown company ABC) is nice, and very useful for writer's block. The limitations and the concentration needed to type properly, hitting each key firmly and independently, is a wonderful experience after cheap PC keyboards. It seems to break writer's block every time. The change focuses the mind, and I've never typed 'teh' or 'mutlicluturalism' yet. The price I paid for it was excellent, after retrieving it from a skip bin full of building rubble, but it's limited. It's pre-decimal currency, for a start.

I want one. Now I just have to find somewhere that stocks it, and a decent justification to spend USD $78. So far I have none of those three things, especially considering the counter-appeal of giving my money instead to this.

UPDATE: According to Will Davis' really frightening typewriter site, the Olympia Traveller C is no longer in production. Rest in peace, manual portable typewriter.

UPDATE2: Chee May (Goh's) Pty Ltd of Hong Kong still sells manual typewriters. Hurrah!

14 Comments:

Blogger jon said...

After we paid for our kids military summer camp we found it tough to recover! I totally agree with you!

8:44 am  
Blogger jon said...

I am trying to find how to install roofing shingles people and found your blog while searching. I totally agree with that...

1:03 pm  
Blogger Sholly said...

Hi,
Found your Blog by chance - Great Stuff.
If anything relating to debt settlement company interests you, please drop by at debt settlement company.
You'll find some good information.

9:42 am  
Blogger wpb-8A93E7 said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

4:55 pm  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey, You've got a very nice Blog!

Very informative. Be sure to check out my blog on the Make Partition History Campaign.

See you soon :o)

9:46 pm  
Blogger Barbara Hofmeister said...

Good content on self improvement music. One can never hear enough opinions on this. If you have time please visit mine about self improvement music

6:19 am  
Blogger Gordon said...

Hello, your blog is informative. I have a linux server related website, please visit and hope that it is helpful to you

9:14 am  
Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a managed forex trading blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

12:42 pm  
Blogger Johnny said...

hello, your blog is interesting to read, I have a currency trading website, it is informative and provides many currency charts and real time currency quote. It should be helpful to your trading.

1:50 am  
Blogger brian said...

sports nutrition supplement is a great resource for this type of thing sports nutrition supplement

3:56 am  
Blogger . said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex internet blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

8:08 am  
Blogger Michael Cobb said...

Hey, good info.

I am just getting into blogging myself, mainly in the self help arena.

I have started a self help related blog, plus a number of self help/self improvement/motivation articles on my self help article site It pretty much covers self help related stuff.

Come and check it out if you have time :-)

2:32 am  
Blogger Water & Fire said...

I have been visiting sites all day and I really like what you have done with your blog. I found your site just after I visited Jacuzzi Hot Tubs Idaho
. Kind a lame if you ask me. Who cares.. I'm here now! Have a good one!

10:02 am  
Blogger Johnny said...

Hello, your blog is inmformative, I just found a brand new forex trading system using both Mathematical and psychlogical approch, hope you can visit and it will be useful to your trading life.

3:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home